Yield: Makes 12 large burritos.
2 pounds turkey or pork sausage
1 large onion, diced (1½ cups)
12 large eggs
⅓ cup 2% low-fat milk
1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chiiles, drained (optional)
12 (9-inch) large, burrito size wheat flour tortillas
¾ cup shredded low-fat cheese, divided
¾ cup chunky salsa, divided
1. In large skillet or pan, brown sausage 14 to 16 minutes (165°F) until no longer pink inside; drain well. Return to skillet or pan. Add onion.
2. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour in skillet, stir in green chiles. Cook on low heat 5 to 7 minutes or until eggs are done, stirring often. Let cool.
3. Portion about ⅔ cup egg and sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon salsa.
4. Fold in ends of burrito and roll up tightly. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet, seam-side down and freeze until solid. Wrap individually and package in freezer bags.
5. When ready to serve, unwrap burrito and wrap loosely in microwave safe paper towel. Heat in microwave on High 1 to 3 minutes or until hot in the middle and cheese is melted.
Burritos can also be defrosted in the refrigerator overnight. Then wrap each in foil and reheat in a 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes until hot.
1 burrito provides approximately:
27 g protein
25 g carbohydrates
2 g dietary fiber
15 g fat (4 g saturated)
245 mg cholesterol
32 mg folate
2 mg iron
917 mg sodium