Christy Koelzer, ACSM H/FI, NCSF CPT
Supervisor Life Care Fitness Center, Onaga, KS
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (103⁄4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup*
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes, drained
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
10 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp
Cheddar cheese with added calcium
Black pepper, to taste
1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
* 98% fat-free, 45% less sodium
- Place chicken in a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil until chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Drain, allow chicken to cool and cut or shred into small pieces.
- Spray the inside of a 4 quart or larger slow cooker lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix chicken, soup, garlic, sour cream, tomatoes and bell pepper. Tear tortillas into small pieces and arrange half of the pieces in one overlapping layer across the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Arrange half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas; sprinkle half of the cheese on top. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Season with black pepper; top with black olives. Cover; cook on low setting (200°F) 3 to 4 hours.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 276 calories; 31 g protein; 30 g carbohydrate; 4 g fat (2 g saturated); 64 mg cholesterol; 2 mg iron; 3 g dietary fiber; 18 mcg folate and 694 mg sodium.
Children should get one hour of physical activity every day. Adults need at least thirty minutes. Look for ways to add activity to your day.