1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 1/2 cups bread flour plus 1 tablespoon
1 package (1/4 ounce) fast-rising yeast
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold tap water
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread sunflower seeds on ungreased pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown. Let cool.
- In food processor bowl with dough blade in place add 2 1/2 cups flour, yeast, lemon zest and salt. Process 10 seconds.
- Stir together water, honey and oil. With the food processor running, slowly add water mixture steadily through tube. Continue processing, adding 1 - 3 teaspoons flour until a soft ball of dough forms. Process 60 seconds to form a smooth, shiny and elastic dough.
- Add cranberries and sunflower seeds; pulse a few seconds to incorporate.
- Place dough into greased bowl, turn to coat dough. Cover, let rise in warm (80° to 85°F) place until double.
- Turn out dough on work surface; knead briefly and shape into one round loaf.
- Sprinkle cornmeal in bottom of a 4 to 5-quart cast-iron Dutch oven. (Alternative pan would be any oven pan or 4 to 5-quart casserole dish with a lid)
- Place loaf seam-side down in pan; cover with lid. Place into cold oven; let rise 20 minutes.
- Leaving Dutch oven in cold oven, set temperature to 400°F. Bake, covered with lid, 55 to 60 minutes. (Thermometer inserted in the center registers 200°F) To enjoy the characteristic crispy crust, serve immediately after baking.
Makes 1 round loaf, 16 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: One slice provides approximately 126 calories; 3 g protein; 23 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 2 g fat (.3 saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 149 mg sodium.