Elke Roby, Lincoln, Nebraska
1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk (110°F - 115°F)
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
2 ½ cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 ¼ - 2 ½ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
1 ½ cups dried sweetened cranberries
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon hot water
1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa powder
1. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine soy milk, coconut milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar and yeast. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, cocoa and salt. Stir into yeast mixture. Add eggs and oil; mix at medium speed 2 minutes.
3. Gradually stir in bread flour to make a soft dough. Switch to dough hook, stir in cranberries and chocolate chips; knead 10 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl to incorporate cranberries and chocolate chips.
4. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled. Spray two 9” x 5” loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray and line with parchment to prevent chocolate chips from sticking.
5. Deflate the dough; divide in half. Shape into loaves by rolling each half into an 8” x 14” rectangle. Starting with 8” edge, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Press edge and ends to seal. Place dough, seam underneath, in pan. Cover; let rise until doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Bake loaves 30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare topping: whisk together egg white and water. Combine sugar and cocoa powder. Remove bread from oven.
7. Brush with egg wash; sprinkle on sugar-cocoa. Bake 10 - 15 more minutes. Bread is done when a thermometer inserted into the center registers about 200°F. Cool bread in pans on rack for 10 minutes; peel away parchment and return to rack to cool completely.
KWC Test Kitchen Note: Use this bread with your favorite French Toast recipe.
Yield: 2 loaves, 18 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 51g)
160 calories, 4g protein, 26g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 5g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 30mcg folate, 75mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 7mg calcium.