1 c. skim milk
1 lg. egg, beaten
¼ c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. honey or ½ c. granulated sugar
1 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. raisins or dried cranberries, optional
1. In medium bowl, mix cracked wheat and milk. Cover; place in the refrigerator to soak overnight. Remove from refrigerator; let sit 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In small bowl, whisk together egg, oil, and honey. Whisk into cracked wheat mixture.
4. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Stir cracked wheat mixture into flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
7. Bake 23 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Variation: Presoak ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries in ½ cup water 5 minutes; drain well. Stir raisins or cranberries in with wet ingredients.
Yield: 12 muffins
EACH MUFFIN (without raisins or cranberries) About 167 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 31 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 174 mg sodium