1 cup hard white winter or hard red winter wheat kernels/berries
1 ½ cups water, room temperature
¾ cup water, room temperature
6 ounces of your favorite wheat beer, room temperature
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
¼ cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
4 – 4 ¼ cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten, optional
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cornmeal, optional
- Soak wheat kernels in 1½ cups water 12- 24 hours. When ready to prepare dough, drain and rinse kernels.
- Combine kernels and 3/4 cup water in blender jar. Process; stirring several times, until wheat is cracked to consistency you prefer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with paddle, pour wheat mixture into bowl. Pour beer into blender jar and “rinse” before adding beer to mixer bowl. Stir in yeast; wait 5 minutes.
- Beat in honey, egg, 3 cups flour, gluten, butter, and salt. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough; knead with dough hook 5-8 minutes. Cover; let dough rise 1½ hours.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan; sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough onto a floured work surface. Lightly sprinkle the dough with flour; round into a smooth ball and place in pan.
- Cover; let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F. With a sharp knife, make ¼” to ½” deep decorative slashes in the top of the dough in an “X” pattern.
- Bake bread 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 375°F; turn pan around for even baking. Bake loaf an additional 20 – 25 minutes. Cover with foil last 10 – 15 minutes if bread browns too quickly. The bread is done when golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 205 - 212°F. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
This bread makes excellent toast!
Makes 1 large loaf, 24 servings.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 slice, 84 g): 220 calories, 7 g protein, 41g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 2.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 86mcg folate, 240 mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 2 mg iron, 12mg calcium.