These flavorful muffins were featured on the cover of the 1992 Kansas Wheat Commission Recipe book.
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
⅓ cup chopped green onions
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 beaten egg
1 ⅓ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and cayenne pepper. Add the cornmeal, cheese, onions, and red pepper; mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat together sugar, egg, and buttermilk. Add into dry ingredients all at once, stirring quickly with a fork, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, quickly dip batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 18 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when touched lightly. Let muffins cool for a few minutes before unmolding by loosening the edges with a knife. Turn out onto a rack and serve warm, or at room temperature.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutrition information per serving (one muffin): 123 cal, 2 g fat, 22 mg chol, 214 mg sodium, 19 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 7 g pro, 38 mcg folate.