This Kansas Wheat Commission no-fuss recipe originally appeared in the 1972 Ballot for Better Breads Election Year Recipes.
2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk*
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
BUTTER ICING (optional)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 - 1 ½ tablespoons cream or milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour and measure. Spray bottom of 9” x 5” loaf pan or silicone mini loaves bakeware with non-stick cooking spray. Place sheet pan under silicone bakeware.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in sugar and pecans.
- In small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and butter. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or silicone bakeware.
- Bake loaf 45 - 50 minutes; little loaves 13 - 15 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a wooden pick in center of loaf and it should come out clean. Another way to test for doneness is by checking the internal temperature using a food thermometer. Quick breads should register 200°F - 210°F. Cool 10 minutes; remove bread from pan. Allow mini loaves to cool for a few minutes then pop out onto cooling rack.
- Whisk together icing ingredients and drizzle on cooled loaf or mini loaves. For mini loaves, double icing.
Yield: 1 loaf, 24 slices or 35 - 40 mini loaves.
*Make your own buttermilk by adding 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in a glass-measuring cup; add whole milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand 15 minutes.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SLICE, 45g): 140 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 14g sugars, 2g protein, 18mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 MINI LOAF, 27g): 80 calories, 25 calories from fat, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 14g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 8g sugars, 1g protein, 11mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 0mg iron.