1/2 cup warm water (100° - 110°F)
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained
2 1/2 teaspoons coconut, pineapple or lemon extract
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
6 - 6 3/4 cups bread flour, divided
Egg wash:1 egg plus 1 tablespoon cold water, beaten
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided for the top
- In mixer bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, honey, eggs, salt, pineapple, extract, nuts and 5 cups flour. Gradually add additional flour until a workable dough is formed.
- Knead by hand or with dough hook, 10 to 12 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover, let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Let rest covered 10 minutes. Roll into 15-inch long ropes.
- To shape a four-strand braid: Lay four ropes side-by-side, and pinch them together at one end. The far left strand is #1, next is #2 then #3, and the far right is #4. Take the left-hand strand #1 and move it to the right over strands #2 and #3, then tuck it back under strand #3. Take the right-hand strand #4 and move it to the left over strands #3 and #1, then tuck it back under strand #1.
- Repeat this process until finished. Seal braid ends by pressing firmly together and tucking under. Repeat with four remaining ropes for second loaf.
- Place braids on greased or parchment paper-lined 18 x 12 x 1-inch baking sheets. Cover, let rise until double. Test gently with finger. A slight indentation shows loaves are ready to bake. Brush the loaves with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 20 to 23 minutes, or until golden brown. Tent with foil last 5 minutes to prevent over-browning. A thermometer inserted in the center of loaf should test about 190°F. Remove from baking sheets, cool on rack.
Makes 2 large loaves, 16 servings each.
Nutrition information per serving:
One slice provides approximately 160 calories; 5 g protein; 27 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 4 g fat (1 g saturated); 29 mg cholesterol; 62 mcg folate; 2 mg iron and 125 mg sodium.