Bread Dough or 2 lbs. frozen bread dough, defrosted
1 ½ cups water (110°F - 115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package instant yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
4 – 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided (may be part whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Traditional Bierock Filling
1 pound lean ground beef
6 cups finely shredded cabbage*
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
Bottled hot pepper sauce (to taste)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional)
*Time-saver tip: substitute coleslaw mix
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine water and yeast. Wait 5 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- Stir in sugar, 3 cups flour, salt and butter. On medium speed, beat 2 minutes. Exchange paddle for dough hook; gradually add enough remaining flour to form a workable dough. Knead on low speed 6- 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Cover; let rise 30 minutes.
- To make filling: brown ground beef and thoroughly drain. Add cabbage, onion, black pepper, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cook on low until vegetables are tender.
- Deflate the dough, let rest 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; divide in half. Roll half into a 15” x 10” rectangle. Cut into six 5” squares.
- Portion about ½ cup filling in the center of each square. If desired, top with shredded cheese. Pick up corners of each square and pinch together. Pinch each diagonal seam so square is sealed well. Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove bierocks from oven and if desired, brush with melted butter. Serve warm or freeze and reheat.
Yields: 12 large bierrocks.
Slider-size bierocks: roll half of the dough into a 14” x 18” rectangle. Cut into 12 squares and portion on half of the filling. Repeat with remaining dough and filling to make 24 bierocks.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 LARGE BIEROCK, 177g): 290 calories, 16g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 107mcg folate, 275mg sodium, 14mg vitamin C, 4mg iron, 32mg calcium.