¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable shortening
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water
1 cup ripe, mashed bananas
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, shortening, applesauce, eggs and vanilla until blended.
3. Add flour, salt, baking powder, soda, water, and ripe bananas; beat on medium speed until blended.
4. Fill muffin cups ⅔ full and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Remove from pans and cool.
Variations: For bananas, substitute 2 cups shredded zucchini and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Add chopped nuts if desired.
For icing, combine 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon margarine.
Tip: Over-ripe bananas can be peeled and frozen in a plastic container or freezer bag. Remove from freezer and thaw before using in recipe.
Makes 14 cupcakes.
Nutrition information per serving (one cupcake without icing): 151 cal, 5 g fat, 30 mg chol, 154 mg sodium, 25 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 2 g pro, 27 mcg folate.