National Festival of Breads Finalist
Gloria Piantek, West Lafayette, IN
The brioches are easy and quick to make. Mix the batter and let it rise once for fresh yeast rolls. I sometimes make these brioches without the cheese cube inside.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
½ cup skim milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup warm water (100°- 110°F)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 package active dry yeast
½ tablespoon dry minced onion
1 large egg
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
½ cup fully cooked real bacon bits
1 ½ ounces hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese (block; not shredded)
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
2-3 tablespoons finely crushed French Fried Onions
- In measuring cup, combine milk and lemon juice; set aside. In small bowl, combine warm water and sugar; stir in yeast and set aside 5 to 10 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, add milk mixture, yeast mixture, onion, egg, butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1½ cups flour; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Add bacon. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make soft dough. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Using dough hook, knead dough 4 minutes or until dough forms a smooth ball.
- Grease 12 brioche or muffin cups. Cut cheese into 12 (1/8 ounce) cubes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal balls; remove 1 teaspoon dough from each ball, forming 12 small balls. Place one large ball of dough into each cup. With finger, make a deep indentation in center. Place cheese cube inside indentation. Place small ball in the indentation, lightly seal edges with fingertips.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 45 minutes. In small bowl, beat together egg and water; brush on brioches. Lightly sprinkle with crushed onion crumbs.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking pans after 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with soft butter.
Makes 12 brioches.
One brioche provides approximately 225 calories; 8 g protein; 27 g carbohydrate; .7 g dietary fiber; 10 g fat (5 g saturated); 55 mg cholesterol; 55 mcg folate; 2 mg iron and 358 mg sodium.