Kansas Wheat’s Nutrition Educator and Test Kitchen Director, Cindy Falk, shared her favorite Apple Crunch recipe that she always turns to this time of the year when apples are plentiful at their farm.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats, old-fashioned or quick oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) soft butter
6 medium apples, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
Granulated sugar, optional
- Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray an 8 to 9-inch baking pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour and cinnamon. Stir in oats, brown sugar and butter; mix thoroughly.
- Place sliced apples in baking pan. If apples are quite tart, sprinkle a little granulated sugar over them before adding the topping.
- Sprinkle crumb-like mixture over apples and press down like a crust.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 40 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is a golden brown.
Makes 9 servings
One serving provides approximately 282 calories; 3 g protein; 46 g carbohydrates; 4 g dietary fiber; 11 g fat (7 g saturated); 27 mg cholesterol; 11 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 2 mg sodium.