National Festival of Breads Finalist
Marjorie Johnson, Robbinsdale, MN
I wanted to create nutritious bread for my family and I always have ripe bananas to use. Since I used Apples, Bananas, and Carrots I named it my ABC Bread. Several years ago when I became aware of the health benefits of flax seeds, I added ground flax seeds to my bread and I switched from traditional whole wheat flour to white whole wheat flour. I like to grind the golden flax seeds in an electric coffee mill. - Marjorie Johnson
Prep Time: 4 hours
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 loaves, 12 slices each.
1 ½ cups warm water (100°-110°F)
4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup finely chopped, peeled apples*
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas
1 cup finely chopped carrots
½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup honey
½ cup ground golden flax seeds
5 cups King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
1 ¼ – 1 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- In electric mixer bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes to proof yeast.
- Stir in rest of ingredients. Using dough hook knead 5 to 8 minutes on low speed. If dough does not form a ball around the dough hook, add 1 or 2 tablespoons additional flour.
- Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up as for jelly-roll; seal edges and ends.
- Place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pans. Cover, let rise in warm place until double.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and done. Remove loaves from pans to wire rack to cool.
- Brush with butter if desired.
Makes 3 loaves, 12 slices each.
One slice provides approximately 122 calories; 4 g protein; 22 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 2 g fat (.12 g saturated); .13 mg cholesterol; 18 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 139 mg sodium.
Kansas Wheat Commission Test Kitchen Note: Marjorie recommends selecting a good cooking apple like Granny Smith, Jonathan, or Honey Crisp.