June 17, 2017
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Hilton Garden Inn, 410 South 3rd Street, Manhattan, Kansas
Blue Earth Plaza
7:30 am Enrich Your Life 5K & 1 Mile fun run, sponsored by the Wheat Foods Council and Manhattan Running Company. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Flint Hills Breadbasket.
8:15 am 1 Mile fun run begins
8:30 am Festival opens to the public.
- Commercial and sponsors’ exhibits are in place.
- Baking competition begins. Eight contestants from across the U.S. will prepare their winning bread recipes. Sample each and vote for your favorite in our brand new People's Choice Award!
- Admission to the event is free with donation of a canned or nonperishable food item. Donations will be given to the Flint Hills Breadbasket.
Demonstrations (free and open to the public)
8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Door prizes will be given out after each demonstration
On the Main Stage
11:30 am "Bake for Good: Get Rolling with King Arthur Flour!" Paula Gray, Manager, Bake for Good Kids Program.
12:30 pm "Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day: Pizza and flatbreads, the fastest breads in the world." Jeff Hertzberg will demonstrate the versatility of the flatbread: the world’s oldest bread, probably first baked on hot rocks in biblical times. From the refrigerator to the table in under 20 minutes, you can have pizza, pita, fougasse, crackers and more.
In the BBQ Tent
9:00 am Backyard Kitchen demonstration
10:00 am Rod Gray, Pellet Envy. Pellet Envy is serious about barbecue. Rod and Sheri Gray have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into their barbecue, and it shows. Barbecue National Champions in 2009, Pellet Envy has gone on to be featured multiple times on the hit show BBQ Pitmasters. They travel the country cooking, competing and teaching their brand of barbecue. They’ve even launched a product line of their own rubs and sauces, called EAT Barbecue.
11:00 am Band: Past Blasters The Past Blasters is a band of talented players from the "Garage Band" era of Kansas. All of the band's members are seasoned veterans playing in childhood and pro bands from the 60's 70's & 80's. When the band was founded by Greg "DOC" Hockett he choose to focus on "Feel Good" Music from the 50's & 60's or the true "Classic Rock".
12:00 pm Rod Gray, Pellet Envy
1:00 pm Band: Past Blasters
2:00 pm Rod Gray, Pellet Envy
- Wheat weavers and straw artists
- Hy-Vee Bakery
- Pampered Chef
- Elk Falls Pottery
- USA Pan
- Grandma Hoerner's
- Merchandise Area
- And MORE!
- Measure + Mix Station - Create your own pancake mix! (Sponsored by the Kansas Wheat Commission, Kansas Soybean Commission and Kansas Corn Commission)
- Pancake samples
- Spinning Wheel Trivia Game (Win prizes!)
- Learn about wheat production and flour milling
- Ring Toss game
- Wheat weaving demonstrations by Kansas straw artists - Watch straw artists create designs from Kansas wheat. Jewelry, ornaments and more!
- Bakery exhibits/samples
- Oklahoma Wheat Commission bread samples served with Grandma Hoerner's spreads and Hildebrand Dairy butters
- Trade show of vendors
- Mr. and Mrs. Slice will be visiting with people to keep energy high!
- The Backyard Kitchen Grill Demonstrations
- Wheat is in more than just bread... Learn about the many uses of wheat. You'll be surprised!
- Take your picture with Willie & Mr. and Mrs. Slice
3:00 pm FINAL Drawing for Door Prizes (including purple KitchenAid mixer)**MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN**
3:00 pm Judging of 8 Finalists' Breads (Closed judging)